Dallas, a city, in Texas, welcomes families with a range of cultural attractions, outdoor adventures, and memorable experiences. Whether you’re looking for family adventures or are a visitor eager to explore this lively city, there’s something for everyone.
We have come up with the top 11 things to do in Dallas with kids. These activities cater to interests and age groups, providing escapades for toddlers and nighttime wonders that will make your family’s time in Dallas truly magical.
Table of Contents
Top 11 Things to Do in Dallas with Kids
1. Dallas Zoo
Located right in the heart of the city, it offers a wildlife encounter that will leave kids of all ages with memories. This zoo is quite extensive. It has a variety of animals, including magnificent elephants, playful penguins, and curious giraffes.
It’s a place for kids to explore continents and learn about the fascinating creatures that live on our planet. Make sure not to miss the chance for your little ones to interact with the animals and feed them.
2. Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Located in Victory Park this modern museum offers an experience, for young minds. With exhibits covering science, nature, and technology children can delve into hands-on activities where they can explore, experiment, and learn.
From displays featuring fossils to dinosaur skeletons, the museum provides opportunities for things to do in Dallas with kids indoors to unravel the mysteries of the world and broaden their horizons.
3. Klyde Warren Park
Situated in the Dallas Arts District, Klyde Warren Park Fountain is an urban oasis that spreads across more than five acres. It has become a spot for families looking to unwind. Have a great time together.
The Klyde Warren Park events offer an array of activities designed to keep kids engaged and entertained. From playground adventures to picnics, outdoor yoga classes, and even peaceful walks through landscaped gardens, there’s something here for everyone.
Additionally, the park is one of the best things to do in Dallas with kids. It features food trucks, making it the perfect destination for enjoyable family outings on weekends.
4. Dallas Children’s Theater
For families seeking enchanting performances the Dallas Children’s Theater is a must-visit. It promises to fill your heart with wonder and delight as you experience the magic that unfolds onstage.
The theater, situated within the Rosewood Center, for Family Arts, offers a range of shows that are suitable for the whole family. Whether it’s classics like “Peter Pan” or original productions the performances are designed to captivate and involve children of all ages in the storytelling experience.
5. Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden is an awe-inspiring paradise that appeals to families throughout the year. While parents can enjoy the peacefulness of gardens and vibrant flowers children can engage themselves in the Children’s Adventure Garden.
This special area features displays of water attractions to splash around in and experiences that teach them about nature in a playful manner. With events such as “Autumn at the Arboretum” and “Holiday, at the Arboretum ” there’s always something thrilling happening for everyone to enjoy.
6. Dallas World Aquarium
This captivating indoor attraction showcases an array of life, birds, and reptiles from all corners of the globe. Step into the enchanting rainforest exhibit where you’ll encounter birds lush greenery and even catch a glimpse of a jaguar.
One of the aquarium’s standout features is a tunnel that takes you on a journey through an underwater world teeming with vibrant fish, graceful sharks, and elegant rays. It’s an experience that will surely create lasting memories for your children.
7. Dallas Museum of Art
Situated in the Arts District this museum offers admission to its collections making it an affordable choice for families seeking inspiration, through art and culture.
Discover an array of artwork, from cultures and historical periods. Don’t miss out on the family programs and interactive exhibits designed to captivate visitors. Art has the ability to spark imagination and foster meaningful conversations with your children.
8. Dallas Heritage Village
Immerse your family in the wonders of history at Dallas Heritage Village, a living museum that takes you back in time. Is another must-place to visit in Dallas with kids situated south of downtown Dallas this remarkable museum showcases buildings and artifacts offering a glimpse into 19th-century life.
Take strolls along cobblestone streets explore homes and witness captivating demonstrations of traditional crafts. It’s an engaging experience that transports your family to an era.
9. Dallas by Night
When the sun sets the city comes alive with a plethora of kid-friendly things to do in dallas. Experience adventures, after dark that are perfect for families to enjoy together.
Here are some great options, for nighttime adventures in Dallas that you can enjoy with your kids;
- Dallas Arboretum at Night; The Dallas Arboretum organizes evening events called “Cool Thursdays,” which feature music and the opportunity to have a picnic under the stars. It’s a way to explore the gardens after dark.
- Outdoor Movie Nights; During the summer parks and venues in Dallas host movie nights. Bring a blanket some popcorn and settle in for a family film under the beautiful night sky.
- Ghost Tours; If your kids are older or teenagers consider going on a ghost tour of some of Dallas areas. These tours offer a combination of history and spooky stories that will surely captivate everyone.
- Stargazing; Take your family to either the Dallas Fort Worth National Cemetery or a nearby observatory for a night of stargazing. It’s not educational but awe-inspiring for children who have an interest in astronomy.
Looking to explore the nightlife in Texas? Here’s a list of the best bars in Austin for your next adults-only trip!
10. Dallas This Weekend
When it comes to weekends, Dallas has an array of activities that families can indulge in and enjoy together.
Here are a few ideas for things you can do over the weekend in Dallas:
- Festivals: Take a look at the local event calendar to find out about festivals that celebrate art, music, food, and culture. The Deep Ellum Arts Festival and the State Fair of Texas are worth checking out.
- Farmers Markets; Spend your weekend exploring one of the Dallas farmer’s markets, such as the Dallas Farmers Market or the White Rock Farmers Market. It’s an opportunity to introduce children to locally grown foods.
- Outdoor Adventures; Dallas offers adventures that are perfect for families. You can consider hiking as an activity to do in Dallas with kids this weekend
- Cedar Ridge Preserve enjoy a bike ride along the Katy Trail or have a fun-filled day at Lake Lewisville.
- Cultural Exploration; Make time to visit museums like the Nasher Sculpture Center or the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza on weekends to explore art and history.
- Family Friendly Dining; Consider trying out family dining options like Twisted Root Burger Co for a meal, with your loved ones. If you’re looking for a place that offers meals, for both kids and adults I recommend trying either Spiral Diner & Bakery.
11. Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
For families who have an interest in history, a visit to the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza is highly recommended. Situated in the Texas School Book Depository building, this museum is a special place to visit in Dallas with kids to get a look into the life and legacy of President John F. Kennedy as well as the events surrounding his assassination in Dallas back in 1963.
Despite the nature of the subject matter, this museum offers an educational experience for older children and teenagers alike. Families can explore exhibits, photographs, and artifacts that shed light on this moment in American history.
Additionally, there are kid tours available to ensure young visitors can fully engage with the content provided at a level suitable for them.
Frequently asked questions
Are there any evening activities designed for kids, in Dallas?
As night falls, Dallas comes alive with a plethora of family activities to enjoy. You can check out the Dallas Arboretum for events such, as “Cool Thursdays” where you can enjoy music. You can also attend movie nights, take ghost tours (for older kids and teens), or go stargazing at local observatories.
Are there any activities in Dallas that are suitable for kids?
Absolutely! There are things to do in Dallas with kids. Some options include visiting the Dallas Museum of Art Hour exploring White Rock Lake and enjoying movie nights at parks that are perfect for families.
What are some indoor attractions in Dallas that toddlers would enjoy?
Toddlers will have a time at KidMania, a playland with exciting slides and climbing structures. They will also love exploring the exhibits, at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.
Our final words
Dallas offers a family-friendly experience where people of all ages can have a good time. This city allows you to witness a blend of scientific marvels and captivating cultural performances, along with the opportunity to create family memories.
We hope our guide inspires your journey through Dallas with a mix of entertainment and enrichment, transforming your visit into a joyful and educational experience for kids and parents alike.